April 26, 2011
As May 14 creeps closer, my time at CSU is quickly coming to an end. What better way to celebrate graduation than to reminisce about all the good times I had? I’ll start at the beginning with my freshman year - I am also using this as an opportunity to test how good my memory is!
I moved into room G211 in Corbett Hall on one of the hottest days of the summer. There is nothing better than moving furniture up stairs into a building without air conditioning, but luckily the dorm experience only got better from that point.
I got sick of the dorm food by the end of the year, and there were times where I thought my roommate was going to drive me clinically insane, but I think everyone experiences those dorm moments. Overall, it was an experience that I’ll never forget, and I now find myself missing dorm food four years later.
I think I had one of the best floors possible. I had relaxed RAs and some made some long-time friends on my floor. Off the top of my head, I can name at least a dozen people from my floor that I still see regularly, and you can rest assured that we still exchange old dorm stories from time to time.
My best memories from that year aren’t from big spectacular events, but rather the small day-to-day interaction with my newfound friends. Walking to Consuelo’s for breakfast burritos, playing volleyball in the courtyard, biking to Old Town and trekking to Durrell Express for a late-night meal were among my favorite things to do.
Other favorite memories include:
- Dorm move-in day and playing the “name game” with everyone on my floor (I can still name 38 out of 40-some people!)
- My first autumn on campus and staring all the picturesque trees in The Oval
- My first time studying all night for a 7 a.m. final. – Then taking a nap and pulling another all-nighter. Don’t worry; I quickly re-evaluated my study habits after that
- My first time tailgating before a football game at Hughes Stadium
- My first winter break and moving back into the parents’ house. The home-cooked food makes up for the loss of freedom.
- Free comedy shows in the LSC
- Counting the tally marks at the end of the year that represented the number of time my suitemates locked me out of the bathroom.
- Playing Frisbee by the lagoon
- Switching my major from business to journalism, which is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
The next two weeks will include more of my favorite memories from CSU, so stay tuned.